People with back pain are often instructed to sleep on their side with a pillow between their knees. However most patients report their knees fall during the night and twist their back, causing more back pain.
How to Sleep More Comfortably on Your Side
Most patients with back pain can sleep on side much more comfortably following the instruction below.
- Get into bed and lay on one side
- Bend the top knee close to 90 degrees ( knee slightly below the hip level)
- Position a big and firm pillow to support the top leg
- Knee and hip of the top leg at the same level ( relative to mat)
- Extend the lower leg in the back
- Try hugging a large pillow against chest and stomach to keep the back aligned
This position is easy to adopt to and restores the natural alignment of the hips, pelvis, and spine throughout the night.
You can also use a U-shaped body pillow to get to the position shown in the picture.